Friday, December 14, 2012

Life of Pi : Book>>Movie

If you haven't watched Life of Pi already then you are missing a 'beautiful' movie. So, go watch it if you can.
I saw the trailer of the movie 'Life of Pi' sometime in August(2012). I felt it was really thrilling and scary. A indian kid, a lone survivor of the Tsimtsum, survives the hardships of the seas along with a Royal Bengal Tiger(RBT). It is very eye-catchy. The big RBT does not eat a boy in the whole of their journey; a journey on a life boat! The only time I remember reading about the strength of the Royal Bengal Tiger was in HC Verma (Physics Text) - one strike coming from the Bengal Tiger's paw is equivalent to 50 kilo newton of force. This was huge and I could not believe a four-legged animal could generate such amount of force in a fraction of a second.



Once I saw the trailer and came to know that the movie was based on a book, I became more enthusiastic to read the book. Thankfully, my sister had buoght the book in the summer. Once I was finished with Kane and Abel, I decided to read Life of Pi. I wanted to finish it before I watch the movie;before 23rd November, the release date of the movie. I did finish the book in time.
The experience of reading the book was quite different to my previous books. This was my first non-fiction book. Initially, the author builds up the childhood of the boy(pi). Though I felt boring about this in the beginning I soon could relate it to the later events in Pi's ordeal. This was THE book which explained every detail of the environment. I was just mesmerized how could Pi even remember such fine details from childhood. 

Pros: In-detail explanation of Pi's journey across the Pacific; not just a sea-survival story!
Cons: Story becomes very slow sometimes. The naration is not well paced. This is might be due to the fact that Pi, had to remember and re-narrate the entire story.

Now that I had finished the book, I was 'ready' to watch the movie and then declare "The book was better than the movie. Hands down". Knowing how well the book was, I didn't have much expectations from the silver screen. Moreover, few of my friends already had mentioned me that the movie was a bore. I saw the movie with a expectation of knowing how would Hollywood make an Indian boy survive the sea on a life boat. I was astonished. I could not just believe that such beautiful creatures existed in the oceans. I had read about it, but, my imagination was not enough. I never thought the oceans to be so beautiful. All I saw was more beautiful scenery and of course, a Royal Bengal Tiger and how Pi survived the sea with the tiger. 

I realised, even though most of them says "The book was better" why they always go to make a movie out of a book. The book sows an idea and the reader has to build upon it, upto to his imagination's limit. If a person never knows how a Tiger will snarl, he can never really understand what happens when the author says a tiger snarled. On the other hand, movie breaks that barrier and tries to expand the limit of human imagination. It will show how a Tiger will snarl and how a boy fought for his life in the middle of the Pacific ocean. 

The movie tried most of the important things from the book (and a little more extra) but ofcourse you cannot depict the entire book in 120 minutes. I have not seen a more beautiful movie than 'Life of Pi' but if you are looking for a thrilling action and adventure, you will be disappointed. If you haven't watched Life of Pi already then you are missing a 'beautiful' movie. So, go watch it if you can.

1 comment:

Learn Digital Marketing said...

Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.